HLTA and Teaching Support
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» test topic
special needs support advice needed EmptyThu Apr 07, 2016 4:35 pm by caffeine needed

» LEARNING SUPPORT POSIITON INTERVIEW
special needs support advice needed EmptyWed Sep 23, 2015 5:07 pm by caffeine needed

» Welcome to Teaching Support
special needs support advice needed EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 9:51 pm by caffeine needed

» Newbie to the forum
special needs support advice needed EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 8:53 pm by caffeine needed

» Evidence for standards
special needs support advice needed EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 5:54 pm by caffeine needed

» HLTA portfolio evidence
special needs support advice needed EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 5:53 pm by caffeine needed

» hlta standard 1
special needs support advice needed EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 5:52 pm by caffeine needed

» Sorry Folks x
special needs support advice needed EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 5:51 pm by caffeine needed

» Level 3 optional unit Support children and young people during transitions.
special needs support advice needed EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 6:43 pm by Lil Miss Sunshine

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Top posting users this week
No user

Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of HLTA and Teaching Support on your social bookmarking website

special needs support advice needed

4 posters

Go down

special needs support advice needed Empty special needs support advice needed

Post by Pixie66 Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:46 am

I have been working one to one with a child for two weeks now and have received absolutely no official information about this child yet. I haven't seen the IEP and have no idea of levels or targets. I have asked my Class Teacher but he hasn't been given any information either. The school has a new Headteacher who is acting as the SENCO at the moment. I have spoken to him about this but was told he doesn't know anything yet either. He said I would be involved with the meetings and was told to just 'keep doing what you are doing' From snippets of information from other members of staff there have obviously been behavioural and emotional issues with this child as well as learning difficulties. This is my first one to one support position - Is this lack of information usual and how would others deal with this situation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Pixie66
Pixie66

Back to top Go down

special needs support advice needed Empty Re: special needs support advice needed

Post by Hufflepup Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Pixie, ask to see the sen forms for this child ! I assume they are not new to the school, so there must be a file for themWhy does he have a 1:1. This should be on your job description as to why you are working with them! What have you been doing for the past few weeks? Does the teacher direct your time? Do you have any discussion with your class teacher about what you should be doing ?
Hufflepup
Hufflepup
Moderators

Back to top Go down

special needs support advice needed Empty Re: special needs support advice needed

Post by Pixie66 Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:30 pm

I don't have a job description - I was offered the hours by the previous head to support the child with transition from KS1 to KS2 so at the moment just for the first half term - he just described the child as 'very needy'. I presumed I would have been given the relevant info when I started. Yes, there is some discussion with the class teacher before lessons but he is new as well and hasn't been given any his IEP either so am just being given vague ideas....such as see how he gets on with counting on, counting back etc etc The child seems to have very short concentration span and is often reluctant to do any work, so I could really do with an idea of what he is capable of as I don't know if he can't do something or just doesn't feel like it. I will ask again next week if I can see his SEN file as finding this a bit frustrating.
Pixie66
Pixie66

Back to top Go down

Post by Gracie Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:19 pm

If the child came up from KS1 to KS2 at your school - could you talk to his Year 2 teacher? That would be a start, while you are trying to do all the other useful things that have been suggested. What were his (her?) KS1 SATS levels - that should give you a head start as to his abilities. What about talking to the TA who worked with him in KS1? TAs are usually a great source of useful info! Or, as the HT clearly seems to have other pressing priorities - what about talking to the Deputy Head and letting them know how concerned you are? Good luck!

Gracie

Back to top Go down

Post by caffeine needed Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:25 pm

I would defo talk to the year 2 teacher
caffeine needed
caffeine needed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down